FSBO: Tips from a Realtor!
90% of American real estate is sold by Realtors. Virtually everyone hires and uses the services of a real estate agent when purchasing or selling their home. While there are many reasons to hire a Realtor, sometimes extenuation circumstances lead home owners to sell their home themselves. Rather then make the case for agent hiring, i wanted to go over a few real estate tips from a realtor for anyone looking to sell their home!
- Make your home look great! Real estate home selling is all about differentiation. Most homes in similar price ranges are all alike. You might get more square footage in an older home, or the opposite in a newer home, however there isn’t a huge amount of variance. What does make a difference is making your home a step above the rest! For example, how does your exterior fence and yard look? Freshly winterized? Nicely trimmed? Painted recently? If your answer to any of those questions makes your face wrinkle, you should consider picking up the place! New paint is cheap and always looks great. Throwing down some bark around your bushes (even as they lose their leaves) also looks amazing. Its the subtle changes that will help you sell your home!
- Any Realtor (and i’m no different) will tell you the single most important part of selling your home: pricing. If you price your home to high, you won’t get any real interest in the property. You need to know your comparable houses, what they cost, and why. Most Realtors use CMA’S to deliver potential home buyers and sellers the local comparable home prices. They are always free, and help correctly price your home (you can request a CMA here). Getting a Realtor to price your home as a FSBO will be difficult, however not with Chris Clark! I love helping people with their real estate goals, regardless of how you approach it! Keep in mind after learning the merits of working with a me, you may reconsider your decision! 🙂
- Hire a Real Estate Lawyer. Going in to selling your home with less knowledge then typical, you will want to know the ins and outs of “how to stay out of trouble!” There are tons of different elements to a real estate deal, and the easiest way to learn about them will be a session with a Lawyer. Trust me, you will be happier!
- Write a nice listing ad. When you FSBO your home, you won’t be able to place it on the MLS. The does eliminate most places to list your home in front of buyers, but don’t lose hope! Without the restrictions of the MLS, you can write a larger paragraph about your home, and place the ads in the newspaper. There are also other online resources you can use to get more exposure!
- Get professional photos. All of my listings have professional photos and it adds an nice element that iPhone pictures can’t. Hiring a professional real estate photographer isn’t expensive, most charge less then 200! It will help improve the professionalism of your home listing, and you can use them throughout the entire sales process!
- Pre-inspect your home. Getting a home inspection is one of the steps that kill deals. Sellers will avoid doing one, and the deal can fall apart! This is why I always pay for them in each real estate deal. Get your home pre-inspected! This will help build more buyer trust, and will also make sure you don’t have any small problems plaguing your home values!
- Use your lawyer again at closing! While you will be paying for the closing costs, and the lender should help, however don’t forget about your lawyer in the corner! He is on your team, and having him review your paperwork is absolutely worth the cost!
That briefly covers FSBO tips from a Realtor! If you have more questions, or would like to discuss your options with a qualified and non pushy Realtor, give me a call!